Before you begin, make sure your PC or Mac meets the system requirements.
If you are reinstalling Office, you have already redeemed a product key, or you are installing Office at work or school and know you have a license, then go to the section sign in to download and install Office.
However, if this is the first time you’re installing Office, you may have some pre-installation steps to do first.
Step 1 – Sign in to download Office
- Go to www.office.com and if you’re not already signed in, select Sign in.
- Sign in with the account you associated with this version of Office.
- On the Office home page, select Install Office apps.
This begins the download of Office. Follow the prompts on your screen to complete the install.
Step 2 – Install Office
- Depending on your browser, click Run (in Edge or Internet Explorer), Setup (in Chrome), or Save File (in Firefox).If you see the User Account Control prompt that says, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Click Yes.
- Your install is finished when you see the phrase, “You’re all set! Office is installed now” and an animation plays to show you where to find Office applications on your computer.Follow the instructions in the window, for example Click Start > All Apps to see where your apps are, and select Close.
Step 3: Activate Office
- Start using an Office application right away by opening any app such as Word or Excel. Can’t find Office after installing?In most cases, Office is activated once you start an application and after you click Accept to agree to the License terms.
- Office might activate automatically. However, depending on your product you might see the Microsoft Office Activation Wizard. If so, follow the prompts to activate Office.
- System requirements / Eligibility
- Install Microsoft 365 on your computer
- Use apps in a web browser
- Find Microsoft 365 mobile apps
- Saving and sharing with OneDrive
- Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft 365 help & learning (microsoft.com)
Install Microsoft 365 on your computer
Install the Microsoft 365 suite on your computer.
Faculty and staff: In many cases, your IT staff will install apps on your UB-owned machine for you. If you don’t see what you are looking for, or are having difficulty installing apps, contact your IT staff.
- To Do
* Windows only
1. Download the installer
- Go to https://portal.office.com
- On the Sign in screen, enter (or choose) your @buffalo.edu email address
- Click Next
- Enter your UBITName password
- Click Sign in
- Decide whether to stay signed in (if you are on a public computer, choose No)
- If prompted, provide Duo verification
- In the upper right hand corner, click Install Office. You will be presented with two options:
- Office 365 apps: Download the full set of popular Office titles: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote. This is a large download, and will requires a good Internet connection and 15-30 minutes.
- Other install options: This takes you to your My account page, where you can choose to Install Office, review the other apps available in you subscription, and review your authorized devices. Because of your managed UB subscription, some options may not be able to be changed from here. Please contact your IT staff if you have questions about this.
2. Begin installation
- Double-click the downloaded installation file
- Follow the onscreen prompts, and sign in with your UB email address and UBITName password when asked